It is useful to understand how the latest waterproofing technology works to also understand how to care for Just Chaps Dri-Rider Waterproof Full Chaps and Trousers and retain their weatherproof functions.
How waterproof full chaps and trousers work
Our full chaps use the latest 3-layer technology to achieve 100% water and wind proof protection – and a garment that breathes to prevent moisture building up inside. This technology was originally developed for the motorbike industry where conditions are extremely harsh.
- The tough Taslan outer shell has been treated with a durable water-repellent and is also tough enough to manage the wear and tear of horse-riding
- The really clever bit is the microporous Reissa membrane in the second internal layer, which is very thin and contains microscopic pores which are too small to let water droplets in – but big enough to allow water vapour to escape. This is what keeps the rider dry and cool whilst preventing moisture building up inside
- The third inside layer is a flexible lining for extra insulation and protection for the delicate Reissa membrane
Top tips for care and washing:
We do recommend that you wash the Dri-riders gently but also regularly enough to prevent sweat and dirt clogging up the membrane and reducing breathability.
- Before washing, fasten all zippers and Velcro and shorten stirrup straps
- Either wash by hand or use a gentle, cool handwash machine setting
- Do not scrub
- Do not use biological detergents – or any products that contain bleach or solvents
- Do not use fabric softener
- Hang to dry at room temperature away from direct heat
- Do not use a tumble dryer
- Do not be tempted to re-proof the outer layer as this will reduce breathability and trap moisture
Following these simple tips will prolong the life of your chaps and allow you to ride in comfort whatever the weather.